Terms & Conditions
Cause Cart is a Cause Campaign-based crowdfunding platform. We are a subsidiary of Causability.org, a 501c3. We pass on our nonprofit credit card processing fee discount to all users, which is 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction. Cause Cart charges an additional flat 0.5% fee on all transactions, for a total 2.7% + $0.30 per transaction.
All fundraisers must agree to, and abide by, the Cause Cart Terms & Conditions. If you are creating a Cause Campaign for a nonprofit 501c3 or Cause Campaign that you do not personally represent, you are solely responsible to donate the received funds (no less than 10% of donations) raised through your Cause Campaign within a reasonable timeframe (no more than 10 business days of receipt from funds from your Stripe account). Cause Cart is not liable or responsible for any undesignated funds that you, the fundraiser, collected on behalf of a nonprofit, Cause Campaign, or other organization. If you do not abide by this, your Cause Campaign and user ID will be terminated from the site.
We only permit users who are over the age of 18 to use our Website. For you to use this Website, you must be at least 18 years old. By signing up for a user account and/or by using this Website, you certify that you are 18 years of age or older. We are not liable for any damages that may result from a user’s misrepresentation of age.
You agree that you will not use, reproduce, modify, transmit, display, publish, sell, create derivative works, or distribute by any means, or process whatsoever, now known or hereafter developed, any content of this Website for commercial profit or gain. We hold all rights to content on this Website.
The Website may provide interactive comments, volunteer forums, news groups, bulletin boards and other interactive areas on the Website. Cause Cart may, in its sole discretion, terminate your access to any interactive areas at any time, with or without notice. You are solely responsible for your use of the interactive areas, including:
- your own actions and communications and the consequences of those actions, including the consequences that result from posting communications on the Website and the Content of any of your postings.
- compliance with all rules and procedures of this Website;
- compliance with all applicable domestic and international laws and regulations that relate to your use of the Website;
- ensuring that you provide accurate and complete information when creating a user account; and
- ensuring that all Content that you submit does not contain third party copyrighted material or that you are otherwise legally entitled to post the Content and grant Cause Cart the licenses set forth herein.
Cause Cart does not assume any responsibility for content, including any material, data, communications, text, images, video, sound, and interactive features (collectively, the “Content”) you may view on this Website, access through this Website or that is posted on the interactive areas, including the truthfulness, accuracy, quality, completeness or reliability of any such Content. Cause Cart does not endorse any Content submitted to the Website by any user, or any opinion or recommendation or advice expressed therein.
You retain your right to any Content you submit to any part of this Website. By submitting Content to the Website, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such content has expressly granted) to Cause Cart (and its successors and affiliates) a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, nonexclusive, fully-transferable license and right to use, reproduce, create derivative works from, modify, translate, distribute, perform, and display the communication (or any derivative work based thereon) either alone or as part of other works in any form, whether now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose. Such license will be fully transferable by assignment, sublicense (including multiple tiers of sub-licenses) or any other means. Except as described herein, any Content which you post on the Website is non-exclusive.
By submitting your email address to the Website, you consent to being placed on Cause Cart’s mailing lists and thereby receiving e-mail correspondence from Cause Cart, including newsletters, event advertisements, and Website updates. You may remove your e-mail address from the applicable mailing list at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in any e-mail from Cause Cart. Although Cause Cart will promptly remove your e-mail address from its mailing list, you may still receive any e-mails that are initiated before your e-mail address is removed from the list.
User Conduct And Removal Of Content
You agree that you will not engage in any actions, or submit any Content, that is defamatory, offensive, objectionable, prohibited, or illegal, as determined by Cause Cart in its sole discretion. Without limitation, actions or Content that shall be considered defamatory, offensive, objectionable, prohibited or illegal include the following:
- Use of any of the interactive areas that could expose Cause Cart to any liability or detriment, or for any purpose in violation of local, state, national, or international laws.
- Posting or otherwise disseminating material that violates or infringes on any third party’s intellectual property rights, proprietary or contractual rights, or privacy or publicity rights.
- Posting or otherwise disseminating material that is objectionable to Cause Cart or the Website, including, but not limited to, material that is unlawful, fraudulent, obscene, defamatory, threatening, abusive, hateful, pornographic, harmful to minors, promoting illegal activity, or embarrassing to another person or entity, as determined by Cause Cart at its sole discretion.
- Posting or otherwise disseminating personal or identifying information about another person without that person’s explicit consent.
- Posting spam or comments that are not related to the topic being discussed (unless it is clear the discussion is free form) or that otherwise disrupt the normal flow of dialogue.
- Posting or otherwise disseminating advertisements or solicitations, chain letters, pyramid schemes, unsolicited bulk e-mail to users or individuals that have not agreed to receive such mailings, or other advertising or marketing that violates these Terms, or any applicable laws, regulations, or generally accepted advertising industry guidelines.
- Allowing any other person or entity to use your identification to post or view comments.
- Accessing the Website with another user’s account, service, or system without authorization from Cause Cart, impersonating another person, falsely stating, or otherwise misrepresenting an affiliation with any person or entity, or creating or using a false identity on the Website.
- Disclosing your own or another user’s identification or password to third parties or using your own or any other user’s identification or passwords for any unauthorized purpose.
- Attempting to obtain unauthorized access to, posting to, or tampering with restricted areas of the Website.
- Disrupting or interfering with the security or proper working of, or otherwise abusing (including vulnerability scans), this Website, or any services, system resources, accounts, servers, or networks connected or accessible through this Website or affiliated or linked sites.
- Disrupting or interfering with any other user’s enjoyment of the Website or affiliated or linked sites; or
- Taking any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Website’s infrastructure.
We will fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requiring us to disclose the identity or other details or any person posting materials to our Website in breach of this Section.
Cause Cart reserves the right to monitor, record, edit, or remove any Content on the interactive areas for any reason, including lack of adherence to these Terms, and Cause Cart has no liability for such action. However, Cause Cart shall in no way be obligated to exercise these rights. If notified by a user of communication(s) which are alleged not to conform to these Terms, Cause Cart may (but shall not be obligated to) investigate the allegation and determine in its sole discretion to remove or request the removal of the communication(s). Cause Cart has no liability or responsibility to you, or to any other person or entity, for the performance or nonperformance of any screening or removal activities. You agree that Cause Cart shall not be liable for Content, including any defamatory, offensive, or illegal conduct, of any third party and that the risk of harm or damage from the foregoing is solely yours.
You shall not use our Website while distracted or preoccupied, such as when operating a motor vehicle. You should access our Website only with due regard for your own safety and the safety of others.
This website and all information, products, and services available through this website are provided on an “as is” basis. You agree that use of this website or any associated information, products, and services is at your sole risk. To the fullest extent permissible under applicable law, Cause Cart and successors and its affiliates disclaim all representations and warranties, whether express or implied, including any warranty of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, or obtained from Cause Cart or through this site shall create any warranty. You acknowledge that any reliance on any information, products, or services appearing on this website shall be at your sole risk, and you hereby waive any rights you may have had regarding any representation or warranty, express or implied, on the part of Cause Cart and its affiliates regarding the functioning and use of this website.
Limitation Of Liability
Under no circumstances, including negligence, shall Cause Cart or its successors and affiliates be liable for any direct, indirect, special, punitive, or consequential damages whatsoever and howsoever arising, including any such damages resulting from a claim by any party relating to the use of this website or any associated information, products, and services, or your use of or inability to use this site. Furthermore, Cause Cart and its successors and affiliates shall not be liable for damages relating to the use of third-party sites linked to the website.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitation of certain warranties or the limitation of liability for incidental or consequential damages. In such jurisdictions, the liability of Cause Cart will be limited to the greatest extent permitted by law.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Cause Cart and its successors and affiliates, as well as its officers, directors, employees, volunteers, agents, licensors, and suppliers, from and against any damages or claims, actions or demands, liabilities and settlements, including without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees, regardless of whether they are attributable to any act or omission of Cause Cart and its successors and affiliates, in connection with (1) your use of the Website, (2) your breach of these Terms, (3) your negligent or wrongful conduct, (4) your access to or use of any third party Website linked to from the Website, (5) Content posted by you, (6) your violation of these Terms or your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any trademark, copyright or other proprietary or privacy right, or (7) the infringement by you of any right of any person or entity. This indemnification provision shall apply to third-party claims as well as claims between the parties to these Terms.
The content of the Website, including the Content and the trademarks, service marks and logos on the Website, are the property of Cause Cart or third-party licensees and are protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights under both United States and foreign laws. You may not modify or transfer the Content, or otherwise make use of the Content for any purpose, without Cause Cart’s and/or the other respective owner’s prior written permission, except as expressly permitted on the Website. You are permitted to access and use the Content though the provided functionality of the Website for personal non-commercial uses only, provided that: (a) any such uses are not competitive with or derogatory to the Website, and (b) you keep all copyright or other proprietary notices intact without alteration. Please note that this limited consent may be revoked at any time and does not include consent to republish Website Content elsewhere.
Any other trademarks or service marks appearing anywhere on our Website are the property of their respective owners. To the extent any product name or logo does not appear with a trademark does not constitute a waiver of all intellectual property rights that Cause Cart or its business has established in any of its products, features, or service names or logos.
If you believe that your work has been posted on the Website in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, you may send our copyright agent a notice pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that complies with Section 512(c)(3) of Title 17 of the United States Code and includes the following (as more specifically detailed in Section 512(c)(3) of Title 17 of the United States Code):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- A description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on this Website.
- Your address, telephone number, and email address.
- A written statement that you have a good faith belief that the use of the material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Site Uptime, Upkeep
The Content of the Website is subject to change any time without notice, including to correct any errors or omissions in any portion of the Website. At any time, Cause Cart may terminate, change, or suspend any aspect of the Website, temporarily or permanently, without notice to you. Cause Cart is not obligated to continue to support or update the Website. Cause Cart may impose limits on certain features or services or restrict your access to parts, or all, this Website. While we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that our Website is available 24 hours a day, 365 days per year, website do sometimes encounter downtime due to server and other technical issues. Where possible, we will try to give our users advance warning of maintenance issues but shall not be obligated to do so. You acknowledge and agree that Cause Cart and its successors and affiliates shall not be liable to you or to any third party if Cause Cart exercises any of these rights.
While we take every effort to ensure that all content provided on the Website does not contain computer viruses and /or harmful materials, you should take reasonable and appropriate precautions to scan for computer viruses or otherwise protect your computer and you should ensure that you have a complete and current backup of applicable items on your computer. We disclaim any liability for the need for services or replacing equipment or data resulting from your use of the Site. While every effort is made to ensure smooth and continuous operation, we do not warrant the Site will operate error free.
Third Party Links
Any links furnished through our Website are provided to you for your convenience and any inclusion of a third-party link herein shall in no way be construed as an endorsement by us of the website(s) or their content.
If you would like to link to our Website, you may only do so on the basis that you link to, but do not replicate, any page of our Website or portions of our Website, and subject to the following conditions:
(a) You do not in any way imply that we are endorsing any services or products unless this has been specifically agreed with us.
(b) You do not misrepresent your relationship with us or present any false information about us.
(c) You do not link from a Website that is not owned by you.
(d) Your website does not contain content that is offensive, controversial, infringes any intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or does not comply in any way with the law of the United States of America.
If you choose to link our Website in breach of this Section, you shall fully indemnify us for any loss or damage suffered by the Cause Campaign from your actions.
These Terms and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be transferred, or assigned by You.
We make no representations that the content or the Website is appropriate or that it may be used or downloaded outside of the United States. Access to the Website and/or content may not be legal in certain countries outside of the United States. If you access the Website from outside the United States, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for compliance with the laws of the jurisdiction from which you access the website.
Our Website was created and is controlled by Cause Cart in the State of Texas United States of America. The Website and its content, and any disputes arising therefrom shall be construed and interpreted under the laws of the State of Texas and applicable United States federal laws. Use of our Website constitutes agreement of the user to the jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located therein.
Cause Cart maintains the Website from offices in the United States. This Website may be accessed from countries outside the United States. If you access or use the Website from outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with your local laws and regulations. Additionally, our Website are subject to United States export control laws and regulations and may be subject to export or import regulations in other countries. You agree to strictly comply with all such laws and regulations and acknowledge that you have the responsibility to obtain authorization to export, re-export, or important any data on our Website as may be required.
Modifications To The Terms
Cause Cart may, at any time and in its sole discretion, amend these Terms by posting the amended Terms to this Website and you agree to be bound by these modifications. Any modifications shall become effective immediately upon posting. You should periodically review the most up-to-date version of these Terms for any changes.
Cause Cart may immediately terminate these Terms or terminate your access to this Website with or without your Cause Campaign, and with or without notice, at any time (including where you repeatedly infringe the intellectual property of others with the Consent that you post to the Website). Such termination shall take effect immediately, unless Cause Cart provides otherwise in any notice. Upon account termination, your right to use this Website immediately ceases and you acknowledge and agree that Cause Cart may immediately delete any files and data relating to your account, and bar any further access to such data or to the Website. Cause Cart shall not be liable to you or to any third party for termination of your right to use the Website. In the event of termination of these Terms, the Limitation of Liability, Disclaimer of Warranty, Indemnification and Applicable Law shall survive such termination.
The headings contained in these Terms are for convenience only and are not to be used in interpreting these Terms. The provisions of these Terms are severable. In the event any provision of these Terms shall, in whole or in part, be determined to be void for any reason, the remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect. Cause Cart’s failure or delay in exercising or enforcing any right under these Terms shall not operate as a waiver or relinquishment of any right. No waiver of any of these Terms shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or condition or any other term or condition. YOU AGREE THAT ANY CAUSE CAMPAIGN OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE SITE OR APPLICATIONS MUST COMMENCE WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE CAMPAIGN OF ACTION ACCRUES. OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE CAMPAIGN OF ACTION IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
Cause Cart’s Copyright & DMCA Policy:
This is Cause Cart’s general policy regarding copyright in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. Cause Cart removes any material that is the subject of a compliant DMCA takedown notice. Section 512 of the DMCA provides the rules for reporting copyright infringement and for filing a counter-notification.
If you believe your copyright is being infringed, you can report the alleged violation.
If your Cause Campaign was the subject of a takedown notice, you can submit a counter-notification.
Cause Cart’s policy, as with any use in inappropriate circumstances, terminates user accounts that infringe on the intellectual property rights of others.
How do I report a copyright violation?
If you’re not sure whether material infringes on your copyright, please consult with an attorney before filing a DMCA notification. Misrepresenting that material infringes on your copyright may subject you to liability for damages, including costs and attorneys’ fees incurred by Cause Campaign Campaign Creators or other parties.
If you believe that your copyright is being infringed, you can file a DMCA notification by completing our contact form or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your claim must include the following information (please note that all information must be submitted in English):
- an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest.
- a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the Site, sufficient for Cause Cart to locate the material.
- your address, telephone number, and email address.
- a statement by you that you understand that under 17 U.S.C § 512(f) you may be liable for any damages, including costs and attorneys’ fees, if you knowingly and materially misrepresent that reported material or activity is infringing.
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a statement by you that the information in your notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Submitting your notification via our form is the fastest way to file your claim, but you may also send the required information to our copyright agent at the following address:
Cause Cart, LLC
Attn: Copyright Agent
Causecart/Causability 13101 Preston Rd. Ste 110 Box 1016 Dallas, TX 75240 USA
What happens if I receive a DMCA notification about my Cause Campaign?
If Cause Cart receives a DMCA notice about your Cause Campaign, our policy is to remove the infringing material or disable access to your Cause Campaign until the dispute is resolved or the DMCA process is complete. You will receive an email from Cause Cart attaching the alleged copyright owner’s notice and providing instructions for filing a counter-notification. Cause Cart will process DMCA notifications and counter-notifications that it receives, but we cannot adjudicate these disputes.
How do I file a counter-notification to dispute the claims?
If you receive a DMCA notification and believe that your work has been removed or disabled by mistake or beCause Campaign of misidentification, you can submit a counter-notification to Cause Cart’s copyright agent by emailing us at: email@example.com. Your counter-notification email must contain the following information (please confirm these requirements with your legal counsel or see the U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. §512(g)(3) for more information. Please also note that all information must be submitted in English:
- a physical or electronic signature of the user of the services.
- identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.
- a statement made under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled beCause Campaign of mistake or misidentification of the material; and
- the subscriber’s name, address, telephone number, and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if the subscriber’s address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that the user will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)(3), or an agent of such person.
This information can also be mailed to Cause Cart’s copyright agent at the following address:
Attn: Copyright Agent
Attn: Causecart/Causability: 13101 Preston Rd. Ste 110 Box 1016 Dallas, TX 75240 USA
Under the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability.
What happens after I submit a counter-notification?
After Cause Cart receives your counter-notification, we’ll forward it to the copyright owner. If we do not receive a notice within 10 business days after forwarding the counter-notification that the owner has filed an action seeking a court order to prevent further infringement, may reinstate the Cause Campaign at issue.
Access to your Cause Campaign or to the infringing material will remain disabled after we receive your counter-notification until the dispute is resolved or until 10 business days have passed without notification that the owner has filed an action seeking a court order. During this time, you will still have the option to message your backers, edit your Cause Campaign , or cancel your Cause Campaign.
Will anyone see my DMCA notification or counter-notification?
Cause Cart is committed to transparency in disabling access to users’ content.
We publish a copy of each DMCA notification and counter-notification on our site. Personally, identifying information such as the claimant’s name, email and telephone number will be removed from notifications and counter-notifications before they are published. However, a claimant’s address and company name (if provided) will be posted publicly.
Cause Cart also reserves the right to forward all materials received (including full contact details) to the opposing party in the DMCA dispute.
What happens to my donation if the Cause Campaign I backed is subject to a copyright dispute?
If a Cause Campaign you’ve backed becomes the subject of a copyright dispute and Cause Cart removes part or all the Cause Campaign from public view, you’ll get an email that explains the status and next steps. Any material that becomes subject to a copyright dispute will be removed until the dispute is resolved or the DMCA process is complete. If a Cause Campaign or any of its contents are removed beCause Campaign of a dispute, you’ll still be able to manage your pledge by going to the Cause Campaign page.
If we can’t re-post the Cause Campaign within 30 days, we will cancel it, all donations will expire, and the Cause Campaign will be permanently unavailable. If, on the other hand, the dispute is resolved or the DMCA process resolves within 30 days, the Cause Campaign will be restored to public view. We’ll update you by email if any of these steps are taken.
How do I report a Cause Campaign for patent infringement?
If you believe that a Cause Campaign is offering an item or service that infringes on a valid and enforceable patent, please submit the valid patent registration number and a court order finding infringement of the patent by the Cause Campaign to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, please be sure to include the following information in your message:
- URL of infringing Cause Campaign
- Your full legal name
- Your email address (please use company email address)
- Company name (optional)
- Company street address (optional)
- A statement that you understand that Cause Cart may provide third parties, including the affected user, with a copy of this complaint.
- A statement under penalty of perjury that the information in this complaint is true and correct and that you are the patent holder or are authorized to act on the patent holder’s behalf.
Cause Cart will review claims of patent infringement and will remove from public view any Cause Campaign that is the subject of a court order finding infringement of a valid and enforceable patent.